Saturday, April 02, 2011

Naṭarāja and the Sitār-līlā rewritten

Two pastimes of Sādhu Bābā that had been added to his hagiography in March 2008, have been rewritten after hearing more accurate narrations during this year's Sītānāth-utsava, by my Gurubhāi Gaur:

page 50 - Gaur Da: “One time, when there were no buildings yet in the ashram, only wilderness, there was a fierce rainstorm going on, so Bābā assumed the form of Naṭarāja (Shiva, the king of dancers) and began to dance, looking in such a fearsome way that I got scared by watching it. We stood and watched in complete silence, and when Bābā completed the dance the rainstorm had completely vanished and the sky was clear.

The Snake and sitar līlā rewritten -

page 18 - "Once, in the dead of night, at 2 a.m., Madangopāl told Bābā: “I want to hear you play Sitar”. At that time the ashram was a wilderness without any buildings. Bābā woke every bhakta in the āśram saying: “Get up, Madangopāl wants to hear me play!” He sat down here and began to play when a snake came and coiled all around His tummy and His arms. Bābā complained to the snake: “Madangopāl wants to hear me play, how can I play like this?”, so the snake let go of His arms and just wrapped itself around His tummy. Bābā played for two hours and then He told the snake to leave Him."

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful story. I could really picture this happening in my mind. It made me smile.

    Avadhuta das

    ReplyDelete