Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sūryakuṇḍa tragedy

Yesterday I could not blog this because the Rādhākuṇḍa cyber-joint was closed due to this disaster - The annual Sūryakund-festival in honour of Siddha Madhusūdan Dās Bābājī brutally ended when the roof of the Mandir collapsed and bābājīs both on and under the roof were either killed or got wounded. Last night I heard that 3 Vaiṣṇavas from Rādhākuṇḍa were killed, but since overnight 7 more were killed the death toll from Rādhākuṇḍa may have risen. Total death toll, according to Dainik Jagaran, is 12. Some 60 were wounded. As there were no ambulances in the small remote village, the victims were taken to hospitals in Agra and Mathurā by private car. Care there seems to be below standard, perhaps because the hospitals were flooded with casualties.

Everyone, many thanks for the worried e-mails - I am perfectly safe. I could not attend the Utsava due to my leg problems. I haven't attended since 1988, actually.

3 comments:

  1. Advaita-ji

    So glad to hear you are safe and sound. You were in my thoughts when I heard the news.

    This is indeed a real tragedy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I spoke with my friend Ekanti Krishna Das, who was injured on the nose and the feet. He said there was a conveyance for him and he was treated right at Radhakund's Gauradham Hospital. He said the disaster happened when Vaishnavas were getting up to wash their hands after prasad. Too much pressure on the roof which seemed to have been recently renovated even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Advaitadas

    It is painful to hear that sadhus who have taken shelter in the Divine Dham are suffering in this way.

    ys,
    muralidhar

    ReplyDelete